Dave McLean Photography Blog

My photo
Welcome, My name is Dave McLean, I'm 40 years old, married with 2 children and live in the UK. I have been interested in photography for about 8 years now and hope to use this blog to share my pictures and anything photography related I come across.

Sunday 26 September 2010

It’s Monday Already?

It’s Monday Already?: "

I can’t believe another weekend has come and gone already. Just where does the time go? Mine was spent in front of my computer, working on a new book, which probably explains why it seemed to go by so fast. I did however get to catch up on some news and the like so I thought I would share some highlights with you to keep you informed as you begin your work week.


I’ve Gone International -





No, I’m not traveling anywhere overseas but it seems that my books are. Last Friday when I got home I found a box waiting for me on the front doorstep. When I opened it, I was surprised to see something familiar but not really. It was copies of two of my books, Nikon D5000 and Canon EOD 500D: From Snapshots to Great Shots but they looked somewhat different. That’s because they were Czech translations. Not only that but the covers were completely different than those that were published for the English speaking market. I have to tell you that it’s a real kick to see my books in a different language and I have to thank my friends at Peachpit and C Press for sending me copies. I guess I’ll have to start cruising the book stores next time I travel abroad to see if I can find any other language versions for my collection.


Making Sense of Twitter with paper.li -







Twitter is an amazing thing. There is so much information available that it sometimes seems almost impossible to digest it all. The biggest problem is that I can’t always be watching the feed so I am bound to miss some good stuff. Now I am less likely to miss out thanks to a new website called paper.li. A strange name to be sure but the concept is that you enter a search term and paper.li will organize all of the links into a newspaper-style output. You can do this by entering a trending term like #photography or, in my case, I entered my list of photographers that I follow. Then paper.li analyzed the latest tweets from that list of people (@photowalkpro/photographers) and organized it into a newspaper format that it really fun to read. The other cool thing is that it will update once a day so I can go back and catch all the latest stuff. You can also share your paper or search for other ones that might be of interest. It’s all about herding the info into an easily digestible format. Give it a try and see what you think by heading to the paper.li website or check out my Photographers Daily.


Nikon Releases New Bling -


The folks at Nikon decided to make another big announcement on the eve of Photokina in the form of another new DSLR and a new flash.



The SB-700 flash is a long overdue replacement for the aging SB-600 flash and there are some great updates that will make this a valuable tool in any photographer’s kit. The controls have been updated to be very similar to those on the SB-900, with a switch dedicated to placing the flash into Master or Remote mode. Another big benefit to this unit is its ability to act as a commander unit as well as a remote. This was a feature that was sorely missing from the SB-600 and usually relegated it to being used as a remote in multi-flash situations. Other features include 3 distribution patterns, color filter identification, and FX lens coverage from 24 – 120mm. The expected retail price is around $330 US.



The other big item on Nikon’s press release was the D7000 DSLR camera. This latest entry fits nicely at the top of the Nikon consumer line of DSLR cameras as the replacement to the D90. Nikon has upped the pixel count in this DX format to an impressive 16.2 megapixels while raising the ISO to a hefty 25,600 in HI2 mode. It also has an impressive frame rate of 6 fps. Of course you can’t make a DSLR camera today that doesn’t include video capture and Nikon really delivers with 1080p at 24fps with Nikon’s exclusive full-time Servo-A autofocus during recording.


Other features include a top end shutter speed of 1/8000 of a second, 39-point focus system, twin SD card slots that will accept the new SDXC high-capacity cards, a virtual horizon indicator for use in Live View mode, a high definition 920,000 dot rear LCD panel, magnesium alloy top and rear body covers with weather sealing, and 2 user programmable modes that let you customize a favorite shooting mode and access it right from the mode dial.


The price for the D7000 will be $1199 US and is available for pre-order at B&H, Amazon, and Adorama.





Related posts:

  1. Nikon D700…What’s the Point?

  2. You Get What You Pay For

  3. Nikon D3100 Announced



"

No comments:

Post a Comment