Dave McLean Photography Blog

My photo
Welcome, My name is Dave McLean, I'm 40 years old, married with 2 children and live in the UK. I have been interested in photography for about 8 years now and hope to use this blog to share my pictures and anything photography related I come across.

Sunday 15 August 2010

Things That Make Images Stronger

Things That Make Images Stronger: "

good


During reviews in my workshops we discuss images made in terms of what makes them strong and how they could be made stronger.

Here’s a list we compiled during my recent Iceland workshop.

You can use any one or more than one in combination to make your images stronger.


Form

Simplicity

Structured Complexity

Gesture

Leading Lines

Interesting Shape

Clean Shape

Deliberately Incomplete Shape

Clear Figure Ground Relationships

Overlapping Planes

Strong Recession (leading lines, overlapping planes, figure ground, color)

Texture

Pattern

Structured Fields

Minimalist Fields

Selective Focus

Archetypal or Evocative Proportion

Contrast

Clean Frame

Spaciously Placed from Frame

Touching the Frame

Cropped by Frame


Palette

Color Interest

Light

Luminosity Contrast

Hue Contrast

Saturation Contrast


Content

Significant Detail

Shows Subject’s Process

Shows Media Process

Clear Stage, Actor, Secondary Character

Action

Decisive Moment

Story

Unresolved Tension

Mystery Left to Be Solved


Emotion

Emotion of Subject

Personal Emotion

Emotional Interaction

Color Mood

Atmospheric Mood


What would you add to this list?


Find out about my digital photography workshops here.

"

No comments:

Post a Comment